Please Note: The following is for general information purposes only. For advice that pertains to your particular situation, please consult a professional.
Psychology Resources and Information
- Canadian Psychological Association <http://www.cpa.ca/public/> features good quality information about the practice of psychology and fact sheets on how psychology can help.
- Mind/Body medicine: http://www.massgeneral.org/bhi/
- Psychosocial factors and cardiovascular disease: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/coverheart.aspx
- Bringing psychology to cardiac care: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/cardiaccare.aspx, http://www.cpa.ca/psychologyfactsheets/heartdisease/
Free Self Help Resources
- Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction (CARMHA) has downloadable self-help workbooks for managing depression, suicidal thoughts, and coping positively with health conditions.
- Relaxation training - CARMHA also has a downloadable audio file for releasing tension and promoting relaxation.
- Mindfulness training - downloadable guided mindfulness practices are available at: <http://franticworld.com/resources/>
- Coping with Anxiety - Mindshift is a free mobile app, developed by AnxietyBC, to help people cope with anxiety.
Support for Caregivers - Vancouver Coastal Health has a number of monthly support group meetings that are illness-specific (e.g., Alzheimer, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke) or more general in nature. Support groups can enable caregivers to access support, provide support to others with similar caregiving concerns, and locate community resources.
Mood Disorders of Canada <http://www.mooddisorderscanada.ca/index.php> provides information, support and advocacy for mood disorders like depression and bipolar disorders.
Anxiety BC <http://www.anxietybc.com/> provides information and resources for anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder.
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada <http://www.heartandstroke.com/> features information about heart disease and stroke, treatments, recipes, and resources for living well with cardiovascular disease.
Pain BC <http://www.painbc.ca/> provides valuable information, supports, and resources about chronic pain and self-management (see the free downloadable "pain toolkit").
Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies <http://www.abct.org/Home/> features information about psychological symptoms, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and fact sheets on the effectiveness of CBT.
- National Sleep Foundation: <http://sleepfoundation.org/> features helpful information about sleep, sleep issues, treatments and resources.
- CBT for Insomnia app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cbt-i-coach/id655918660?mt=8
- Vancouver Sleep Solutions: <http://vancouversleepsolutions.com/ > sleep apnea assessment and online self-test